Home‎ > ‎Grants & Funding‎ > ‎Travel Grants‎ > ‎

Part I - Deadlines and Application Details

2017-2018 Travel Grant Application Deadlines

Quarter 1: May 16 - August 15  
Due April 15

Quarter 2: August 16 - November 15  
Due August 1

Quarter 3: November 16 - February 15  
Due November 1 
Quarter 4: February 16 - May 15  
Due February 1

Deadlines are absolute. Please plan accordingly.

New provisions regarding presenters of published work/research
Due to recent concerns regarding pending abstract submissions, HPSC will accept grant applications on a provisional basis for students awaiting abstract acceptance. Students must still submit the application within the quarterly time frame. As always, no late submissions will be considered. Please note in your email that you are awaiting approval of your abstract.

Additional Information

The last day of travel must fall within the quarter in which you are applying. You will get an email once grants are processed with the due date for when receipts can be turned in for reimbursement.
Applications submitted 1 month prior to deadline will be reviewed and revisions, if needed, will be requested. Any incomplete or incorrectly filled out applications submitted less than 1 month prior to the deadline will be not be considered for Travel Grants.

Who can apply for an HPSC Travel Grant?

Currently enrolled, degree-seeking health professions students at the University of Illinois completing eligible travel may apply for a travel award. Non-degree students, former students, students who previously received a travel grant during the current fiscal year, and students enrolled in other colleges at the University of Illinois are not eligible. 
What type of travel is considered eligible for travel awards? 
 1. Conference Presenter (can get maximum of $300) 
a.  Presentations of research (first or last author), scholarly work or poster at meetings of nationally or internationally recognized scientific or scholarly societies. There can be only ONE conference presenter per abstract/poster. 
2. Away Rotation Attendee (can get maximum of $200) 

a. Applications participating in an away rotation
b. Applicants engaging in contributory work which includes assisting in underserved areas

 3. Conference Delegates (can get maximum of $100) 
a. Delegates selected or appointed by their local chapter organizations to attend a national or international conference or meeting. 
b. Delegates representing honorary sororities or fraternities at national or international conference or meeting 
c. Applicants who attend a conference or meeting representing a regional, national or international board positions.
4. Conference Attendee (can get maximum of $100) 
a. Applicants attending a conference for educational, networking, or leadership purposes
b. Funding is limited (preference will go to Conference Presenters and Away Rotations)
 What can I use as proof of acceptance to present my research at a conference/meeting?
Many organizations no longer send formal letters to authors stating that their research has been accepted for presentation. However, theses same organizations do send approval notices by e-mail to presenters. Thus, HPSC accepts a photocopy of an email, addressed to the student, as long as it contains the name and contact information of the representative responsible for scheduling. HPSC reserves the right to deny any travel reimbursement applications if after repeated attempts we are unable to contact the organization and verify the veracity of the email submitted.
Who can sign the letter of support?The letter of support must be signed by an adviser in the Office of Student Affairs at your school. Unlike past years, a signature from a faculty adviser or PI will not be sufficient. The change was made for two reasons: 1) It is the only way we can verify the authenticity of the signatures 2) Student Affairs want to meet with their students.

Do I have to submit supportive documentation?
In order for your application to be considered complete, appropriate supportive documentation (proof of attendance) must be included for all travel grants except for conference attendees. Incomplete applications will not be considered.

Does the application need to be signed? 
Yes, the application needs to be signed by both you and an adviser from your school's Student Affairs Office. All applications need to have both signatures to be considered complete.